What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a health profession that involves accurate diagnosis of physical dysfunction, and actively assists patients in recovering from injury. Physiotherapists have expertise in the physiological functioning of the body, and use this knowledge in combination with accurate assessment techniques to diagnose and treat injuries.
Physiotherapists can assist in the both the recovery and prevention of injury by addressing both physical impairments and functional limitations of an individual.
Services and treatment options offered
Physiotherapists are able to use a variety of different treatment options, depending on individual needs, determined through an accurate initial assessment. These treatment options include:
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation
- Exercise and strength programming
- Muscle re-education to improve control
- Soft tissue mobilisation
- Post-operative rehabilitation
- Dry needling
- Electrotherapeutic therapies (ultrasound, interferential, TENS)
- Airway clearance techniques
- Gait re-education and advice on use of aids to assist recovery